How I’m trying to stop being so ‘busy’

“I’m just sooo busy”

Are four words I often think to myself and I’m sure a lot of you feel the same way. The level of ‘busy’ you are is almost like proclaiming how popular you are. I feel that there’s a lot of pressure nowadays for young people to have achieved a lot by a certain age. I mean, look at Justin Bieber – kidding.

Social media has opened us up to a whole world of young entrepreneurs, people travelling the world on Instagram. Living lifestyles that seem too good to be true. Often than not they probably are too good to be true if you’re only looking at what’s posted on social media.

In some ways I think people exaggerate how busy they are just to get a point across that they are working hard. Is it an insecurity that these people feel like they’re under-achieving? I’m not sure. Personally I am guilty of telling those around me how much I have to do but then I do genuinely feel like there aren’t always enough hours in the day.

Blogging, working full-time, going to the gym and trying to have a social life isn’t always easy to maintain a balance with. I find it hard to understand people who will happily just lie in bed all day, I feel like I’m missing out on life.

THE  NON-TRADITIONAL TO-DO LIST

However I know I can’t go through life feeling like I’m chasing my tail. One day it occurred to me, that maybe I’m just creating this situation for myself because I keep affirming ‘I don’t have enough time’. What if I switched my mentality and said to myself ‘I can make time for that’? I feel a lot more relaxed which is a start. I feel less anxious and can think clearer. Truth be told, no one is holding a gun to my head telling me I have to blog, go to the gym, Instagram, meditate, fake tan etc. These are the tasks I set myself.

I’m definitely a Type A personality. Each day runs according to my to-do list. I do get a great sense of satisfaction at ticking things off my list. Equally though, I can end up  feeling annoyed if I haven’t managed to get everything ticked off by the end of the day. Sometimes it will cloud over the other amazing things I’ve managed to accomplish which is likely to be quite a lot! I realise this probably sounds very sad but it’s just the way my mind works and keeps me generally in a positive place about things.

As I sit here on a Sunday evening writing this, of course ‘write Wednesday blog post’ is one of the things on my to-do list. I very nearly chose not to bother tonight because I’d run out of time. Instead I thought it would be a good chance for me to write down how I’m feeling.  By jotting down a few small changes I’m going to  make to my routine, I’m hoping to feel a bit more balanced. Plus this might help at least one other person who feels they have too much on their plate.

OUTFIT DETAILS

Dress: Zara

Shoes: Topshop – couldn’t find anything similar!

Coat: Zara (similar)

Sunglasses: Topshop

Zara polka dot dress_ellaryderIMG_4087

THINGS I’M GOING TO MORE OF (in no particular order)

Indulge in being a bit lazy – have a lie in because I feel like it, stay in my PJ’s all day

Write more spontaneous blog posts (like this one)

Spend more time reading and less time scrolling on Instagram

Skip the gym if I’m feeling too tired

Concentrate on quietening my mind more during meditation. Read more about my morning meditation here.

Take deep breaths during the day if I’m feel stressed

Congratulate myself with what I HAVE managed to achieve each day and be ok if I haven’t gotten everything done. Life is never done.

Affirming that ‘I have more than enough time’

Go with the flow – I can try!

I’d love to know if you also think being ‘busy’ has become the new cool?  What would you add to your list? Now if you don’t mind me, I’m going to cross this one off the to-do list…

CLICK HERE TO FOLLOW ME ON BLOGLOVIN’

FEELING THE POLKA DOTS? HERE ARE A FEW OF MY PICKS…

Share:

14 Comments

1. June 14, 2017 / 10:23 am

Being busy has 100% became the new cool! I wake up every day with my mind buzzing and a tight chest thinking of all the things I want to achieve today to try and get a bit more noticed in the social media world, whilst juggling my normal day to day stuff like work and socialising and all sorts. I recently started trying to mediate and practice mindfulness every morning but something feel like I can forget to do due to my mind buzzing with all these ideas and goals I’m trying to set myself! I definitely need to take a chill to and read more books than scroll through instagram but I worry I’m losing out on interacting with everyone and such. it’s very difficult!

• ellaryder
      June 14, 2017 / 2:12 pm

Thanks so much for your comment Beth! I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeling so stressed about it all. Trust me I often feel the same and I think even a lot of top bloggers must have these overwhelming feelings too. I do try and meditate for 15 minutes every morning (sitting up in bed so I don’t fall asleep) and if I really concentrate on keeping my mind still – it does take concentration – I find that it helps a lot. It’s definitely a work in progress but I’m finding it helps my mind feel clearer and then I do tasks more efficiently. I’m going to try setting a timer for Instagram scrolling and limit myself to that which could be something for you to try too! Let me know how it goes – we’re all in this together 🙂 xx

2. June 14, 2017 / 11:08 am

Such a great post girl! Totally love your point of view.. I always feel like it’s almost a trend to be “so busy” and “so tired” all the time.. it’s sad!

xx Lisa | lisaautumn.com

• ellaryder
      June 14, 2017 / 2:16 pm

Thanks so much Lisa! Yes it really is a popular thing at the moment. It’s as if you aren’t working yourself to exhaustion then you’re not trying hard enough! I’m a very ambitious person and I think it’s good to have such passion for what you’re doing but it’s equally important to be aware when you’ve taken onto much. Self-care should always come first! Thanks for reading 🙂 xx

3. June 14, 2017 / 9:20 pm

I love this – this is so true. I live my life by to-do lists and sometimes feel I miss living int he moment because I’m always onto the next task.

xx Poll

toothfairytalksblog.wordpress.com

• ellaryder
      June 14, 2017 / 9:24 pm

Thanks Polly! It’s good to hear I’m not alone in this. I wonder if we can add ‘live in the moment’ to our to-do lists 😉 Thank you so much for reading 🙂 xx

4. June 16, 2017 / 10:01 pm

There’s always something to do or that could be done, like working out, creating a post for, calling up a friend you haven’t heard from in forever. With all that hustle & bustle, it’s very important to take time to do nothing, to watch Netflix, to rest, to read, just walk in nature. I love having lazy days in my pajamas! :]

// itsCarmen.com

• ellaryder
      June 17, 2017 / 6:18 am

I think I need to take a leaf out of your book Carmen! You’re so right 🙂 Thanks for reading!xx

5. Rosa
    June 17, 2017 / 3:37 pm

I love this outfit. I also feel like I’ve been too busy lately and I need more me and relaxing time.

• ellaryder
      June 17, 2017 / 4:36 pm

Thanks Rosa! Try and take at least an hour this weekend just to do nothing and see what a difference it makes 🙂 xx

6. June 20, 2017 / 1:02 pm

Being ridiculously busy is definitely a big thing at the moment and I think we all need to learn to take more time to take care of ourselves and relax. I do find that if I keep saying I don’t have enough time, this is the case, but if I have a different mindset, I feel so much more relaxed! x

LuxeStyle

• ellaryder
      June 20, 2017 / 1:05 pm

You’re totally right Jenny! It’s all about the mindset and luckily we can change it :)xx

7. August 2, 2017 / 4:08 pm

Absolutely loving your outfit in this! Couldn’t agree more with how busy life can be with working full time, blogging, attempting to keep fit and have a social life. It can be a lot to handle, but at least you are handling it with style girl!
    Laura – http://www.welltravelledgirl.com

• ellaryder
      August 2, 2017 / 4:23 pm

Ah thanks so much Laura! It’s definitely a lot to handle. The pressure we put on ourselves eh? Thank you, and it looks like you are too. Very jealous of all your travelling!xx